The so called “Old Synagogue” is the oldest synagogue in all of Poland, and it is located in the Kazimierz district in Krakow. It has always been a synagogue of great importance, and in 1794 General Tadeusz Kościuszko spoke to the Jews to make them support the Polish people in their fight for independence. Later in memory of this event and the reply of the Jews the following quotation from the General can be found in the entrance hall:
“”The Jews proved to the world that whenever humanity can gain, they would not spare themselves.”
The synagogue was built in the 15th century (exact year is debated), but it has a very rare design, as it is designed as a fortress synagogue. The building was completely devestated during II World War, and executions wer eheld outside the walls of the synagogue in 1943. The Old Synagogue in Krakow was then renovated again between 1956 and 1959.
Old Synagogue Krakow
Old Synagogue pictures