The Old Jewish Cemetery (Remuh cemetery) is located in the Kazimierz district in Krakow, better known as the Jewish area of Krakow. The cemetery has been in use since the 16th century, and several famous Jews have been buried here. In 1800 they closed down the cemetery and started burying people in the New Cemetery instead.
During the Nazi reign the walls of the cemetery were torn down and the tombstones removed, to be used as paving stones. Later tombstones used as paving stones were returned to the graveyard as people discovered that they were not real paving stones. In spite of this there are only very few tombstones in the graveyard now compared to what it once was like.
Old Jewish Cemetery Krakow
40 Szeroka Street
Old Jewish Cemetery pictures